3 benefits of purchasing jewelry as an investment:
• You control the investment.
• Unlike holding bullion, you get the benefit of using your jewelry by wearing it. Jewelry can benefit from price appreciation if the piece is deemed to be a collectible item.
4 tips to helping make your jewelry investment a smart investment:
• Focus on “Fine” jewelry. This means that the workmanship must be top notch, and the design must be exquisite, and preferably unique. Commercial jewelry such as that found at a typical retail jewelry or chain store, will have little value to a jewelry collector, and the potential resale value will be lower.
• When selecting the gold karat level, 18 K to 22 K is preferred for investment purposes. 24 K is is good for pieces that are protected against wear and tear such as a brooch or pendant.
• Choose jewelry or have jewelry designed that looks good to you. Firstly, you will want to wear it. Secondly, if it looks good to you, it will look good to others, and this again will increase its collectability value.
• “Limited edition,” “Custom-made,” “Unique,” “Designer” are all qualities that enhance the value of the value of your jewelry to a collector and increase its resale value.